^ Festival of lights last night with friends. ^
^ Waving at the passing ship [below].
Greenery and Christmas cards are some of my holiday favorites.
^ Cookies for friends tonight. ^
^ Christmas movies ^
^ Poinsettias delivered to our door this morning. ^
I remember making Russian Tea Cakes when I was a little girl with my mom. They have always been a favorite of mine. They couldn't be any easier to make, a perfect holiday cookie for those who aren't terribly into baking (like me). I change the recipe ever so slightly, they are a big hit in our family. You can do many variations, even adding Christmas sprinkles if you'd like!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Makes: Appox 22 balls
1 cup [softened] butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of cinnamon
Powdered sugar for rolling
Finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in mixer. Mix well. Add flour and salt. Mix until soft dough forms.
- Roll dough into approximately 1 inch balls.
- Optional: Roll formed balls in shredded coconut, some in finely chopped pecans, and leave some plain. I like all three.
- Place rolled dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets, bake for 8-10 minutes.
- When cookies are done baking (bottom will be golden brown), let cool for 1 minute. Remove cookies from sheet while still warm and place in bowl of powdered sugar (you'll need about 1/3 cup) to coat. I like to sprinkle additional powdered sugar on top when done.